Thursday, 30 April 2015

Architecture of old Moscow. The Residential house N. G. Faleev / Архитектура старой Москвы. Дом с горгульями, или Особняк Фалеева в Гагаринском переулке, дом 11

особняк фалеева
Архитектура старой Москвы. Дом с горгульями, или Особняк Фалеева.

Small single-storey house, located on Gagarinsky lane in Moscow, not far away from the Chertolsky lane, had overgrown with legends. Most often they are related to “Masonic past” of home owners and "secret meetings" Freemasons. The reason for that  the characters above the entrance to the building. In fact, if you look closely at them and know the profession of the former owner of the house, you can see that Freemasonry has nothing to do with it.
This stone house was built soon after the Moscow fire of 1812 and enlarged in 1845. Civil architect N. G. Faleev acquired an old building in 1895 and built the new one based on it. Wooden walls and partitions were preserved in the core of the house, and new walls were built of bricks. The facade of the building acquired current appearance at the same time.
Nicholas G. Faleev, the author and the owner of the house, graduated from the Moscow real school, and then from the Institute of Civil Engineers. He and received the appropriate title for success in teaching and was awarded with a gold medal. He also designed an apartment building of Gagarin in Varsonofevsky Lane, treasury-owned wine warehouses on Volochaevskaya street Ermakov’s Technical School on Prechistenskaya waterfront, Faleev’s apartment building in Milyutinsky Lane. Most of the buildings were designed in eclectic style i.e. combined elements of different styles. The house in the Gagarinsky Lane was no exception: it has features of Renaissance and Empire styles and even some Baroque elements.
For instance, the small shells above the central and side windows are baroque style. Corners of the house were decorated with small figures of winged lions, meander-looking ornamental belt is located above the windows, where you can see a stylized swastika. The fence with a lattice was built at the same time as the house and preserved to this day.
The composition above the entrance is of a particular interest: a triangle, a shovel, ax, pickaxe, a compass and rope crossed between them. All this is often perceived as Masonic symbols, but Faleev just wanted to show his affiliation to the civil engineers. Interweaving of these instruments was the emblem of professional civil engineers, approved by the law of the Russian Empire.
A few private houses of Moscow architects were decorated by the same symbols, but it survived only in the Gagarinsky Lane. Rosette with two vertical slats is located to the right from the logo on the front. This is a stylized house number plate of the building number 11.
After the revolution, the property was nationalized and taken over by the People's Commissariat of Foreign Affairs (NCID), which began to use it as a "guest house". They provided the place to stay for famous foreign diplomats and other famous foreigners. The officially name of the mansion was "The 10th home of Foreign Affairs Commissariat." American journalist John Reed Guests was the most famous guest of the house. He founded the Communist Party of the USA, worked in the Comintern and wrote the famous book "10 Days That Shook the World" – his own perspective of the events of the October Revolution in Russia. Reed died here and his ashes were buried at the Kremlin wall.
By the 2000s the facade came in unsatisfactory condition and began to crumble, there was a threat of loss of architectural decoration. In 2010-2011, the house was renovated; preserved parts of stucco were reinforced and lost ones were recreated. The layout of the house and many interior details were fully preserved: moldings, tiled and air heater stoves, fireplace with cast-iron molding, inlaid oak flooring, mosaic marble floor. The diplomatic corps is still in charge of the mansion. A foreign embassy is supposed to be arranged here in the near future.

Продолжаю рассказывать об архитектуре старой Москвы... 
Городской особняк по адресу Гагаринский переулок, дом 11 с 1895 года находился в собственности московского архитектора Николая Григорьевича Фалеева, который значительно его перестроил, придав обычному московскому домику классические архитектурные формы. В народе этот дом именовали как "дом с горгульями". Именно благодаря Фалееву на крыше появились грифоны, а на стенах крошечные горгульи, давшие народное название дому. В пасти этих созданий по праздникам вставлялись флаги. 
Существует легенда, что всякий раз, когда кто-нибудь грешит, на крыше появляется горгулья или химера. Горгулья умеет искусно занимать место каменной фигуры, теряясь среди фигур и впрямь каменных. Согласно преданиям, горгульи должны отводить от дома зло, сиречь демонов. 
Фронтон дома украшен непременными масонскими символами  мастерок, циркуль, наугольник, молот и кирка. Говорят, Фалеев состоял в ложе (а именно  в ложе Орла). Более того, он отвечал за проведение неких ритуалов. (Кстати, некоторые элементы масонских ритуалов перешли в светскую жизнь! Например, в ложах кандидата в "вольные каменщики" вводят с веревкой на шее, как символе его смерти, если он посмеет раскрыть какие-нибудь тайны масонства. Потом он всю жизнь обязан был ходить с галстуком на шее  – символе той же вечной петли, которая мгновенно затянется, если масон посмеет раскрыть священные тайны!)
Однако другие источники утверждают, что участие Фалеева в масонской ложе – лишь миф. Хозяин дома закончил Институт гражданских инженеров в городе Петербурге и получил специальность инженера. Так что, молот и кирка  скорее всего, лишь профессиональные символы инженерных специалистов.
После Октябрьской революции здание в Гагаринском переулке, 11 национализировали, и на период с 20-х до 30-х годов прошлого столетия отдали под проживание иностранным дипломатам. Именовался в то время бывший особняк Фалеева как 10-й дом Наркоминдела.
История данного дом связана, кстати, также с именем известного американского журналиста и писателя Джона Рида, который, пробыв в послереволюционной России некоторое время, оставил потомкам впечатления об увиденном в книге "10 дней, которые потрясли мир".
Существует легенда, что бывший особняк Фалеева был отписан Риду по личному указанию В. И. Ленина. Так это или не так, но долгое время дом стоял в запущенном состоянии из-за каких-то неувязок именно с наследниками "главного коммуниста США".
В 2006 году из дома выехал последний житель, а в 2010 году здесь наконец начали проводить реставрационные работы, которые закончили уже на следующий год.
В наши дни строение в Гагаринском переулке, 11 называется "Посольским особняком" и вновь отдано в распоряжение одной из дипломатических миссий.
Внешний декор и внутренняя планировка особняка Фалеева практически не изменились со времен его строительства. Здесь сохранились деревянные перегородки старой части дома, кирпичные стены постройки 1896 года, художественно оформленные парадные помещения с богатой лепниной, изразцовые и калориферные домовые печи, дубовый паркет, чугунный камин, мозаичное мраморное напольное покрытие, и даже дверные петли, которые несут клеймо бывшего производителя.
Особняк архитектора Фалеева, как и большинство его построек, представляет собой образец эклектики, то есть сочетает элементы различных стилей. В нем есть черты ренессанса, ампира и даже некоторые барочные элементы. К последним принадлежат маленькие раковины над центральным и боковыми окнами.

архитектура старой москвы

архитектура старой москвы
особняк фалеева
дом с горгульями
особняк фалеева
особняк фалеева
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...